F&F is committed to becoming a leader in sustainability. We are focused on reducing our impact on the environment. Therefore, we are changing the ways we produce and even recycle to reuse our concrete.
One of the biggest environmental concerns for concrete producers is the disposal of waste from ready mixed concrete. For that reason, most traditional disposal systems are no longer environmentally acceptable.
As an environmentally conscious concrete producer, F&F uses the Enviroport Concrete Reclamation System, which recycles 100% of our aggregates and grey water. For that reason, F&F is able to utilize less water and reduce pollution.
Not only does this system recycle unused concrete material, but it also eliminates the need for a wash-out pit. That being said, by utilizing Enviroport, we’re exceeding EPA regulations and environmental compliance in the State of Connecticut.
In fact, concrete is being increasingly recognized for its environmental benefits — from production to construction and disposal. Therefore, as a supplement to cement, we often use other cementitious materials to improve the workability of fresh concrete and reduce water demand, shrinkage, and permeability of the finished product.
Materials such as fly ash, ground granulated blast-furnace slag, and silica fume also reduce the amount of cement content used, which results in a reduction in CO2 emissions.
Why choose concrete for sustainable development? Here are some of the benefits:
- Reduced CO2 Emissions – The use of recycled materials in concrete admixtures reduces greenhouse gases, frees up landfill space, and reduces raw material consumption.
- Improved Recyclability – After a concrete structure has served its intended purpose, the concrete supply can be crushed and recycled into aggregate for use in new concrete or as road base.
- Improved Energy Efficiency – Buildings constructed of ready mixed concrete have a unique energy-saving advantage because of their inherent thermal mass.
- Increased Durability – Concrete structures offer significant strength over other building materials.
Now on its third generation of ownership, F&F still has a commitment to innovation in sustainable materials and practices.
LEED Certification & Concrete
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system is the most widely adopted green building design and construction evaluation program in the U.S.
LEED encourages building owners and developers to construct buildings with a reduced environmental impact. See how we can help your project earn valuable LEEDs points.
We’ve recognized it as an essential component of our commitment to environmental sustainability.
F&F Concrete can help you earn LEED points for your next project. Here’s how:
- Our concrete contains recycled materials such as flyash or slag
- We recycle sand, stone, and gray water
- We use regional materials (sand, aggregate, cement, flyash, admixtures)
After meeting 8 LEED prerequisites, your project can achieve LEED certification at a Certified, Silver, Gold, or Platinum level based on how much its environmental impact is reduced.
The National Ready Mixed Concrete Association (NRMCA) has published a comprehensive LEED reference guide that explains how ready mixed concrete can help design and construction professionals maximize their LEED credits.
For more information about earning LEED credits for your project with help from F& F, please call us today at 860-628-9674.